Tuesday, June 7, 2016

(Product Review) Chef's Star Stainless Steel Compost Bin 1 Gallon



My family has been trying to eat healthier, which means more fresh foods rather than processed ones, along with growing more of our own produce. Along with the fresh produce comes a variety of peels, seeds, and other vegetable scraps. I ordered this Chef's Star Stainless Steel Compost Bin 1 Gallon to replace the plastic ice cream pail that I have been using for saving my scraps for composting.

I have been planing on buying one for quite a while because even though the ice cream pail can hold a few days worth of scraps, it isn't something I want setting on my counter in plain view, and every time I open the lid it smells up my kitchen. Not only this but I know that the plastic can leach harmful chemicals into my compost, and since I grow many edible plants with this compost, I would prefer to leave the chemicals out of it.

This bin is small enough to fit nicely on my counter or in a cupboard, or just about anywhere. Unlike the plastic ice cream bucket, it looks attractive so I don't mind leaving it out in the open where it is easily seen, so I don't need to tuck this one under the sink to hide it from view.

The bin measures 8 1/2 inches tall plus an additional 2 inches to the top of the lid, and is 7 1/4 inches in diameter so it takes up only a small area on my counter. This compost container holds a good amount of food scraps.

This is a gallon sized container, so depending on your usage it could likely hold a few days worth of scraps. Some days we fill it up more than others, but it does hold a decent amount so I am not constantly needing to run back and forth for composting.

When the time comes to empty it though, it has a nice, sturdy handle built into the bucket so it is easy to carry. The lid is easy to remove and replace, and there are vent holes in the top for ventilation. This is important if you will know if you have ever opened the lid of an airtight container with some really nasty scraps inside, since airtight containers can lead to odor buildup.

This container also comes with a replaceable filter. It is one of the carbon activated type of filters, so it does a great job of controlling odors. I have only had it a short time, but have had no problems with odors from my bin, and I am told that with proper care this replaceable filter can be used for up to 6 months.

Both the can and the filter can be washed, and keeping things clean is the key to long life and effective use. You can also purchase disposable liners for the bin if desired, which makes cleanup even easier. The compost bin and filter are easy to clean with soap and water when needed, then make sure everything is completely dry before putting it back together.  I am not sure about this particular filter, but other charcoal filters suggest that they can also be recharged by placing them in direct sunlight for a few hours. I haven't tried it with this one, but thought that it was something to keep in mind for later on down the road.

This compost bin works very well and is helping me to keep my kitchen neat and clean because I always have an easy and convenient place to toss my organic kitchen scraps such as egg shells, coffee grounds, fruit and veggie scraps and more. I am very happy with this container.

Although I was offered this product at a discount or received a complimentary sample in exchange for my fair and honest review, all thoughts and opinions on the products I review are always my own and have not been influenced by any discounts or samples which may have been provided to me for testing purposes. Questions and comments are welcomed.

#RealShoppingHelp #composting

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments and suggestions, but please don't spam. Comments are moderated, so please don't waste your time or mine with spam messages.